Monday 10 October 2011

Giving Lots of Thanks this Weekend

Hello Everybody,

So I realized occasionally my blog may take on a rather negative tone.  Possibly because I am slowly sinking into an unemployment depression and have occasionally lost the will to be civil to the outside world.

BUT - I am here on Thanksgiving weekend, heating up my turkey leftovers and feeling well rested and surprisingly upbeat from a great weekend at the cottage spent boating, looking at leaves and enjoying the global warming induced fantastic weather.  So I have a little story to tell you, it is going to seem corny to some of you, I know, you have permission to skip this one, but it made my weekend a whole lot better and I want to share with you.

Before I went up to the cottage I indulged in a wonderfully relaxing yoga class.  I have been known to fall asleep in yoga or giggle too much, but I kept myself under control for most of the class, and in the end while we were doing our final relaxation, the yoga teacher said something that really hit home for me.  She said to picture the world and how the world was reflected and acted inside of ourselves (I do realize yoga often seems super cheesey and more than a little silly, but stay with me, put yourself in my spot, your muscles are sore, you are given an hour of no stress out of a very stressful job searching week, and you are relaxing in the semi darkness with nothing but quiet and your own breathing). 



Back to my story - so I pictured the world and all the craziness of the financial trouble and environmental trouble and unemployment trouble and all sorts of other trouble and everything swirling in and on itself outside and also inside of me.  The yoga instructor told us to acknowledge this world and the truth of it.  So I did. 

Then she said to accept it.  We can't change what has happened outside of us, accept what the world is and work within it instead of constantly fighting it.

Finally, she said to show ourselves compassion.  I had never heard, or thought of that before.  I haven't been showing myself very much compassion lately.  I constantly beat myself up, maybe if my resume was better, or I wrote a better cover letter, or I was more aggressive with my applications.  Maybe if I had chosen a different major, or gone to a different school, or gotten better placements or internships.  When she spoke the word compassion, I thought, maybe I need to give myself a break.  I am willing to give almost everybody else a break, to say, I know you are trying hard, but it is a tough time right now.  I've never said it to myself. 

So, if you are spending this weekend sad and unemployed and feel like there is nothing to be thankful for, please show yourself a little compassion.  Not an excuse to slack off, or quit the job search, or give up.  Just a brief respite of niceness to yourself.  I deserved it, and so do you. 

Don't worry, I'll be back to hating my life by about noon tomorrow! 

Yes, Regis wears a lifejacket in the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment