Thursday 29 September 2011

Movie or Book?

I almost always choose book.  I would say 95% of the time when there is a film adaptation I pick the book over it, even if I read the book after I've seen the movie.  This unofficial poll of my life is a little biased because I do not see that many movies, and I won't see movies of books I really really love in case they ruin them a little bit.  For example - I live in fear of the time when the "Atlas Shrugged" movie comes out.  It is one of the most influential books in my life and I hate to think of people being exposed to it only through a hollywood blockbuster movie, plus it defeats the purpose of the entire book to have it made into a stupid movie (especially because I once heard Angelina Jolie was supposed to play Dagny, and although I love Angelina in her own way, there is no way she could possibly capture Dagny, further proof that the people making the movie just don't get the point of the book).

But this book review is not about Atlas Shrugged, it is about "The Help: a novel" by Kathryn Stockett, which I have just finised reading but have not yet seen the movie.  The book was good, a cute idea for a story, a little intense at times, of course I cried, but I cry in practically every book I read so that is not a measure of success.  It wasn't eye opening so much as it made me think about how crazy a place the world really is, and was in the not very distant future.  I still want to see the movie, or if you've seen it let me know how it is, or if you've seen and read then let me know how they compare. 

Also - 11:41 - this here is a Thursday Morning Book Review.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment